ADVANCED MARINE ELECTRONICS INSTALLER
What is the Advanced Marine Electronics Installer Program?
The Advanced Marine Electronics Course has being recently revised and expanded. It is designed for the Marine Electronics Installer (MEI) who wishes to achieve competency in advanced topic areas and concepts. An Advanced MEI certificate is an indication that a mid-level technician has a working knowledge regarding commissioning of a boat and troubleshooting marine electronic devices under supervision of a Certified Marine Electronics Technician (CMET).
Advanced Marine Electronics Installer Course
Topics include: Marine Computer Installations, Data & Ethernet, Electromagnetic Interference (EMI), VHF, DSC, SSB, Non-Magnetic Heading Sensors, Antenna Placement / Satellite Communications, AIS, Radar and Autopilot.
Course Materials Included with Registration: NMEA 0400 Installation Standards version 4.00 and supplemental course materials. Pre-requisite:
There are 2 main pre-requisites for the AMEI Course:
1. Student must have taken and passed the basic MEI course
2. All students must have at least one year of field experience installing marine electronics before NMEA will issue an AMEI Certificate.
a. If the student already does have this field experience, it needs to be verified in writing by the student's employer.
b. If the student does not yet have this field experience (for example they are a new hire, graduate, new to the industry, or apprentice), they will be eligible for their AMEI Certificate exactly one year from the date of issue on the MEI certificate
Please note that any student can take the AMEI class and test at any time. As a marine electronics installer, field experience is the best independent teaching tool.
This requirement eliminates the possibility of good test takers with no field experience.
Passing Score: 80%
Cost: $450 Member, $650 Non-member
NMEA Training Classes Cancellation Policy:
NMEA understands that circumstances may arise that cause you to cancel your training class registration. A request for refund must be made in writing with an explanation included.
The student has the following options:
Apply the funds paid towards a future training class within the same calendar year.
Request a refund (a cancellation fee of $50 will apply).
NMEA reserves the right to cancel a class based on minimum enrollment, instructor availability, or extreme weather circumstances.
If NMEA cancels the class, you will be issued a full refund (no cancellation fee will be applied).
To apply, Please must submit registration form, fee and verification of experience to:
*A 20% discount per class will be offered to those who register three or more employees at any one training event.
692 Ritchie Highway, Suite 104
Severna Park, MD 21146
PH: (410) 975-9425
Fax: (410) 975-9450
On-line Advanced Marine Electronics Installer Course
- This extensive training class usually takes students 4 to 6 hours to complete. This is the same training material that is taught in our classroom session. There are roughly 140 PowerPoint slides which you can download and keep. You can save your progress and exit, then come back to complete if needed.
- Skipping sections is not allowed.
- There is a 50 question test at the end of the course.
- A downloadable certificate will be awarded for passing grades of 80% or higher.
- This course is designed for the Marine Electronics Installer (MEI) who wishes to achieve competency in advanced topic areas and concepts. An Advanced MEI certificate is an indication that a mid-level technician has a working knowledge regarding commissioning of a boat and troubleshooting marine electronic devices under supervision of a Certified Marine Electronics Technician (CMET).
Topics include: Marine Computer Installations, Data & Ethernet, Electromagnetic Interference (EMI), VHF, DSC, SSB, Non-Magnetic Heading Sensors, Antenna Placement / Satellite Communications, AIS, Radar and Autopilot. Students must have passed the MEI course before taking the AMEI.
NMEA members (or people who join as new members on the nmea.org website) who pass the MEI or AMEI online courses get the electronic version of the 0400 Installation Standard (320 page document) FREE after course completion. The NMEA staff will verify your membership and send out an electronic copy of the 0400 Installation Standard.
Non-members who pass the course can purchase the 0400 Installation Standard at the price of $300. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to purchase.
You must take the Advanced MEI course at a location nearest you or register for our on-line training.
Course Training Registration Form
Click here for on-line training registration
- You and your employer can market your NMEA training to customers—old and new—as an indication of your professional expertise.
- Your NMEA training will serve as a "reference" for future employers.
- Complimentary subscription to the Marine Electronics Journal to AMEIs who are NMEA members.
• All renewals are $50 for members and $100 for non-members
• All renewal applicants will receive a 25 question renewal exam link via email
• After payment is received, the link to take the renewal exam will be emailed
• Renewals no longer require proctoring
• A 25 question renewal test is required every 2 years.
• A minimum 80% passing score is required.
• Certificate is good for two years.
2017 AMEI Renewal Form