Home   >>  Installer Training  >  Certified Marine Electronics Technician
National Marine Electronics Association

The National Marine Electronics Association's® Certified Marine Electronics Technician (CMET) program began in the 1980’s.  Its main goal is to elevate the best and brightest marine electronic technicians in the industry.  Ultimately assure the boat owner that they have received the highest quality of design, installation and service.

The CMET Certification program tests the knowledge base and experience of the marine electronics professional.  The test includes a variety of questions from the Federal Communication Commission General Radio Operators License to the NMEA® Installation Standard. The NMEA CMET is a Marine Electronic Generalist of highest grade and should at a minimum be able to perform the following:

  • Provides the highest level of professional service
  • Design a marine electronics integrated system with proper installation and verification
  • Diagnosis of the most significant marine electronic issues on board a vessel
  • Identify the source of a marine electronics product problem
  • Troubleshoot and repair over a wide range of disciplines
  • Analyze marine electronics systems conflicts
  • Understand where to get additional expert support from manufacturers and other industry sources
  • Ability to provide proper documentation to vessel owner and captain
  • Must be knowledgeable in maritime rules and regulations
  • Should own all the proper tools to perform all of the requirements above

Achieving the CMET certification is no easy task.  It requires in-depth knowledge of theory, practical experience installing and troubleshooting electronics onboard a vessel, and a high level of professionalism.

NMEA® highly recommends the following study guides - Resource Materials.  The applicant receives a pdf version of the 0400 NMEA® Installation Standard at no additional charge.

It is required for all United States CMET applicants to have their FCC General Radio Operator License (GROL) license. All international CMET applicants must present to NMEA the equivilant commercial radio repair license issued from their country and their government issued ID.

  • You need a commercial radio license to operate the following:  ship radio stations if; the vessel carries more than 6 passengers for hire, or the radio operates on medium or high frequencies (30 kHz or 30 MHz) or the ships sails to foreign ports, or the ship is larger than 300 gross tons and is required to carry a radio station for safety purposes.

  • You need a commercial radio license to maintain and repair the following: All ship radio and RADAR stations and all coast radio stations and all hand-carried radio units to communicate with ships and coast stations on marine frequencies.

  • In the USA, a GROL license is required to adjust, maintain or internally repair FCC-licensed radiotelephone transmitters in maritime public radio services.  A GROL is required to operate the following: Any maritime land radio station or compulsorily equipped ship radio telephone operating more than 1500 watts peak envelope power (PEP) and voluntarily-equipped (pleasure) ship stations with more than 1000 watts of peak envelope power (PEP).

  • The ship RADAR Endorsement may be placed on the General Radiotelephone Operator License, GMDSS Radio Maintainer's License, GMDSS Radio Operator/Maintainer License or on the First or Second Class Radiotelegraph Operator's Certificate (T1 or T2).  Only person whose commercial radio operator license bears this endorsement may repair, maintain or internally adjust ship RADAR equipment.

For more information click on the resource materials link above.

Download the CMET Application


CMET Renewal Form