Basic Marine Electronics Installer
What is the Basic Marine Electronics Installer Program?
The Marine Electronics Installer Program (MEI) was established in 2004 to encourage a high level of professional expertise in entry-level and mid-level technicians and to lead them to seek Certified Marine Electronic Technician (CMET) status. An MEI certificate is an indication of a working knowledge of NMEA’s Installation Standard, which clarifies and defines competent installation practices. A Marine Electronics Installer has demonstrated this proficiency by passing an examination designed to measure understanding of those principles.
Basic Marine Electronics Installer Course
MEI - Recently updated with the most current information available! This training is suitable for installers, product designers, surveyors, etc.
This is an introductory course in marine electronics installation that clarifies and defines competent installation practices. Topics include: Ohms law, grounds, battery and battery chargers, DC wiring, EMI, coaxial cables, antennas, AIS, marine VHF radios, transducers,radar, heading sensors and NMEA data interfacing.
An MEI certificate is an indication of a working knowledge of NMEA’s Installation Standard.
A Marine Electronics Installer has demonstrated this proficiency by passing an examination designed to measure understanding of those principles.
Course Materials Included with Registration: NMEA 0400 Installation Standards version 4.00 and supplemental course materials.
Passing Score: 80%
Cost: $450 Member, $650 Non-member
NMEA Training Classes Cancellation Policy:
NMEA understands that circumstances may arise that cause you to cancel your training class registration. A request for refund must be made in writing with an explanation included.
The student has the following options:
Apply the funds paid towards a future training class within the same calendar year.
Request a refund (a cancellation fee of $50 will apply).
NMEA reserves the right to cancel a class based on minimum enrollment, instructor availability, or extreme weather circumstances.
If NMEA cancels the class, you will be issued a full refund (no cancellation fee will be applied).
*A 20% discount per class will be offered to those who register three or more employees at any one training event.
Please submit registration form and fee to:
692 Ritchie Highway, Suite 104
Severna Park, MD 21146
On-line Basic Marine Electronics Installer Course
NMEA members (or people who join as new members on the nmea.org website) who pass the MEI or AMEI online courses get the electronic version of the 0400 Installation Standard (320 page document) FREE after course completion. The NMEA staff will verify your membership and then send out the electronic copy of the 0400 Installation Standard.
- This extensive training class usually takes students 4 to 6 hours to complete
- This is the same training material that is taught in our classroom session
- There are roughly 140 PowerPoint slides which you can download and keep
- You can save your progress and exit, then come back to complete if needed
- Skipping sections is not allowed
- There is a 50 question test at the end of the course
- A downloadable certificate will be awarded for passing grades of 80% or higher
Non-members who pass the course can purchase the 0400 Installation Standard at the price of $300. Please email email@example.com if you wish to purchase.
For the Basic MEI course, you can choose to enroll in a class nearest you or you may also choose to do our on-line training.
Course Training Registration Form
Click here for on-line training registration
- You and your employer can market your NMEA training to customers—old and new—as an indication of your professional expertise.
- Your NMEA training will serve as a "reference" for future employers.
- Complimentary subscription to the Marine Electronics Journal for all MEIs who are NMEA members.
• All renewals are $50 for members and $100 for non-members
• All renewal applicants will receive a 25 question renewal exam link via email
• After payment is received, the link to take the renewal exam will be emailed
• Renewals no longer require proctoring
• A 25 question renewal test is required every 2 years.
• A minimum 80% passing score is required.
• Certificate is good for two years.
2017 MEI Renewal Form